Woo-hoo — Two New Galleries

. . . are available on The Orchid Place.  I have a new “Garden 2009” gallery uploaded, as well as a “Roses 2009” gallery.

I’m really beginning to love the Jalbum software I use to compile these galleries.  At least Jalbum doesn’t force me to store them on their servers and link over to them.  I compile and store them locally, modify the relevant index page footers to add my own copyright, FTP the suckers up to the right subdirectories at my web host, and bingo-bango, it all works.

For direct links to those two galleries, click on the one(s) you want to view:

Alright — enough pimping my flower porn.  Until my next batch of roses bloom over the next week or so, that is . . .

I love roses.  So, sue me.  😉

Progress

A funny thing happened on the way to the orchids.  Some of you may know that my brother died roughly a year and a half ago.  Remember all that bullshit with Nicky railing on and on for weeks about me fucking his corpse, then his ashes?

My brother used to host my orchid website for me.  The servers were left running for a few weeks, but after that, poof.  I maintained it myself, so I had all the files to upload elsewhere, but he had registered it for me in his name for 10 years, and there were something like three years left until it expired.  After dragging my feet for a long time, I decided not to wait until the domain came up for renewal, and just bought a similar domain with hosting for it.

Since these things can take two or three days to get seeded throughout the internet, I worked on it from the back end for a little while, but it wasn’t publicly available.  Then I forgot about it for a few months.

Finally, I got off my butt and pulled an all-nighter to whip it into shape, fueled by coffee and nicotine.  I’d forgotten how many picture galleries there were.  I’d even forgotten to FTP a few of them up to the site, and a couple of them had multiple index pages.  That’s a lot of pages to edit, especially since it dawned on me that they all contained cute little house icons that pointed to the old domain name, plus I had to change all the footers.

Top that off with making sure the files for the entire domain were in a subdirectory of my primary account, dictated by my web host, and yeah, it took me all night.  I ended up doing a little trial and error, then writing down where the files belong at the host, and where I pulled them off my hard drive, so I wouldn’t have to start from scratch next time I do maintenance on it.

The software I used to generate those picture galleries dates back to 2001.  No way was I about to regenerate all of them, and fiddle with the settings for each to try to make them look prettier.  Some I didn’t bother to upload at all, and probably won’t.  I had to laugh when I saw that some had the logo.gif file on the index pages, and others didn’t.  That logo has the old domain name.  I can fix that graphic later.  At least the footers have the correct domain name.

Anyway, the pages and galleries are up, all the links work, and so does the blog I decided to add for the first time.  God do those old galleries look quaint!

I’ll add more galleries when I get around to creating them.  I certainly have enough pictures to do several more, but am reluctant to keep using an eight year old copy of Arles.  There’s got to be something a whole lot more customizable, and not so archaic looking.  I’ll find something I like.

So . . . if anyone’s curious enough to go take a poke around, here’s the home page.  Navigation’s pretty easy once you get there.